Useful Windows XP/Vista/other freeware list
Last update: 8/03/13
- LibreOffice - a Full-bodied total
replacement for all of the Microsoft Office apps. Reads and writes all
Microsoft file formats including Excel's .xls and Word's .docs. Now at
version 2.0, if you aren't already using it, it's time to give microsoft
the kick in the pants it needs.
- Context - Notepad replacement
and/or programmer text editor - as good as anything else out there,
includes features such as syntax highlighting and many other things - very
- Excellent freeware (lite version) dual-pane Windows Explorer replacement
- highly recommended. Simpler than anything else out there- that I've
- Firefox - The little
browser that could - a more secure replacement for Internet Explorer.
Tabbed browsing kicks ass - and you avoid the security and bug problems IE
exhibits over and over and over again. Switch!
Recommended Firefox Addons are Flashblock, adblock plus &
- Thunderbird -
Total replacement for Outlook Express or Windows Mail. Smaller memory
footprint, nicer looking than the others, more secure than windows mail. Great
heuristic junkmail filtering.
- Free download manager -
if you do heavy downloading, this free app is for you - supports
multi-source downloads and resuming, scheduling, a whole bunch of other
- Filezilla - Open-source ftp
client - does a better job than anything else I've tried as yet-
- Lame MP3 encoder - better quality
than -anything else- out there.
- Wavosaur - Best freeware straight
audio editor around. Not quite as good as something like Goldwave, but
- Audacity - Full-bodied
open-source audio editor/multitracker. I don't use it personally but on a budget it's a good choice.
- Infrarecorder -
Awesome freeware cd burning program - replacement for nero or
- The best quality MP3 player in existence (as of this listening). Decodes
to 24-bit where available and audibly better quality than Winamp or
MAD-based players (with or without 24-bit). Makes a significant difference
to aural experience. A tad buggy sometimes.
- Wavpack - Lossless
free open source audio compression standard. Better than flac, faster, and
free. Winamp plugins exist, support is widespread. Good for backing up
audio project materials (typically a 50% decrease in filesize without
losing any quality).
Classic - Ahh, Winamp. This is an excellent, and light,
replacement for Windows Media player (for playing music anyway). Use
- Artweaver - Great photoshop/mspaint replacement. Better than anything else
out there in the freeware world.
- MWSnap - Screen snapshot-grabber.
- VLC Media Player - The one, the only - plays everything.
- VirtualDub - Linear video
decompressor/recompressor/editor. Faster, slicker and of greater visual
quality and control than most payware when it comes to raw processing of
digital video footage (note: does not replace something like premiere in
terms of non-linear editing).
- Mpeg2Schnitt - Lossless MPEG2/AC3/MP2/WAV video
cutter - useful for reauthoring DVD's you've made, without having to
re-edit the original footage.
- ImagoMPEG-Muxer - Multiplex .m2v +
.m2a/.ac3 to .mpg/.vob. Took me ages to find a decent tool to do
- Muxman free - DVD muxing tool -
does everything. Cheers mpucoder!
- Recuva -
Free file/data recovery software for windows.
- CCleaner Slim - The
famous 'crapcleaner', but without the added toolbar.
For more freeware system tools, see the windows speedup guide.
See my top ten list here.
Back to the index